Ceramic braces are similar to metal braces, but they use clear or tooth-colored brackets rather than gray or metallic silver brackets and wires. They consist of clear or tooth-colored ceramic brackets attached to the surface of your teeth with similarly colored wires and rubber bands, which provide more discretion.
Ceramic brace objectives
The goal is to strengthen and straighten teeth to avoid these oral health issues:
Pros and cons of ceramic braces
Pros of ceramic braces
- They are less visible than metal braces
- Less painful: According to people who have worn both metal and ceramic braces, ceramic braces are less painful on your gums and cheeks because the ceramic is not as harsh.
- Very durable: Some people are wary about getting ceramic braces because they do not think that they are durable or will last through the treatment without having to be replaced. Fortunately, ceramic braces are hard to damage and will last throughout your treatment.
- Cost effective: Ceramic braces are a little more expensive than metal braces, but they are still a cost-effective method of fixing crooked teeth when compared to alternatives like clear aligners, which cost more to achieve the desired effect.
Cons of ceramic braces
- Size: Ceramic brackets are larger than metal brackets.
- Despite the brackets being larger, ceramic is a more brittle material than steel.
- They move teeth slower than metal. Because they’re more fragile, having to repair broken brackets or make incremental adjustments at each appointment can delay the straightening process.
- They may stain. The elastic ties holding the wire to the brackets can stain easily and remain stained until they’re replaced.
For people who need to straighten their teeth, ceramic braces are a great option. They deliver the smile you want with no discomfort and with the same effectiveness as traditional metal braces. If you are in need of braces, talk to your dentist to find out if ceramic braces are right for you. Also, feel free to call our office at any time to ask any questions you have about braces or any other dental procedure. We will be happy to help!